"I don't know if I deserve it but I am certainly very proud of it".
Indian boxing legend MC Mary Kom, who claimed a gold medal on debut at the Commonwealth Games, was India's flagbearer at the event's closing ceremony. "Vikas was above all his opponents, Gaurav boxed beautifully and what can I say about Mary". The five-time world champion thrashed Northern Ireland's 21-year-old Kristina O'Hara in a unanimous point's decision in the finals of the women's 48kg boxing category.
Mary Kom struck her at will, her right hooks being especially telling.
"I feel great, I'm so happy I got here and I'm overwhelmed..." Who are these people to stop me?
Double Olympic shot put champion Valerie Adams gave birth last October and won silver on Friday, while Vanuatu beach volleyball player Miller Pata won bronze in front of her seven-month-old toddler, Tommy.
She impressed in victories over Lynsey Holdaway from Wales and New Zealand's Tamsyn Berry, and matched Mary Kom punch for punch in Saturday's light-fly final before being edged out on the judges' cards. It was the ideal tonic the boxer needed to do the one thing she hasn't done yet - win a medal at the Commonwealth Games.
Also, when asked about retirement, she said, "Who said that I am retiring, I have not thought of it yet all these are rumours".
There will now be a Commonwealth Games gold alongside the five World Amateur titles, five Asian Championships, an Olympic bronze and a gold each at the Asian Games, Asian Indoor and Asia Cup. By the second round, Mary Kom seemed to be thoroughly enjoying herself in the ring against her timid rival.
After her triumph in the Gold Coast Games, Kom dedicated her medal to her children and thanked her coaches and support staff for believing in her. Age is definitely just a number for her and she will now gear up to prepare for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- TIAA CREF Investment Management LLC Grows Holdings in Perrigo (PRGO)
- Facebook's facial recognition tool faces class action suit over mishandling biometric data
- Kendrick Lamar wins Pulitzer Prize
- Goldman Sachs Earnings: What to Watch
- TIAA CREF Investment Management LLC Acquires 106740 Shares of Haemonetics Co. (HAE)
- Many Surgical Trainees Consider Giving Up Their Careers When Pregnant
- Enterprise Products Partners (EPD) Shareholder Center Coast Capital Advisors LP Decreased Stake
- Massapequa Man Arrested for Binghamton University Murder
- Baseball star hits insane home run with broken bat
- Hold Recommendation?: Abbott Laboratories (ABT)