If the deal does go through, it's presumed that Chery may be filling the vacancy left by Tuma Basa, who left Spotify as its global programming head of hip-hop and curator for the RapCaviar playlist, which has already amassed 9 million followers and even spawned live events. Carl Chery, the Head of Artist Curation for genres like hip hop and R&B, has chose to leave the tech giant in favor of Spotify.
Chery originally joined Apple after the company acquired Beats by Dre / Beats Music several years ago. However, Spotify will likely be behind unless it partners with Amazon's Alexa or Google Home, otherwise the company will have to start at square one with its smart assistant work.
This is the second high-profile departure from Apple Music in a week. However, it looks like he'll be taking his talents over to a competing streaming service. Oliver Schusser took over as chief of Apple Music Worldwide. An invitation to a Spotify event obtained by The Verge confirms major changes are coming to the mobile app as well.
Now Playing: Watch this: Spotify saved the music biz, but can Spotify save itself?. Now the company has more than 157 million registered users but only 71 million pay for access to the music catalog without ads. Therefore, this is a serious blow for Apple Music.
- Dallas woman claims R. Kelly gave her an STD
- China's GDP grows 6.8% in the first quarter, slightly more than expected
- Parents strike deal for rape victim's modesty
- Daniel O'Donnell pays tribute to Country music singer 'Big Tom'
- Ram Charan's Rangasthalam to be dubbed in Bhojpuri
- Jamie Oliver's Australian restaurant group has collapsed
- Xiaomi Mi 6X to come in five colour variants
- South Korean officials may visit North Korea before summit
- Even Robert Downey Jr. Hasn't Seen 'Avengers: Infinity War' Script
- Where And When You Can Witness the Lyrids Meteor Shower