The intriguing derby will spill over into fall preseason between Haskins and Burrow, players who operated mostly in the shadow of four-year starter J.T. Barrett.
Threats of storms moved the Ohio State spring game up a couple of hours on Saturday so they could get the game in without delay.
"Well I came here to play", Burrow said after the game. I am just happy to help them.
That's how Ohio State's Scarlet vs.
Say what you will about the validity and significance of spring games, but this was a monumental moment that should be celebrated across the sports landscape. Meyer has said he would give Burrow an honest assessment at the end of spring whether he had a reasonable chance to win the starting job. "You can be a really good quarterback and still sit on the bench, so that's the nature of the position".
"We're going to have to make some decisions", coach Urban Meyer said.
That might lead some to wonder whether that was the last meaningful pass he would throw in an Ohio State uniform.
"He told me if I was feeling good, he wanted me to come and be one of the honorary coaches", he said. Redshirt freshman Tate Martell is the best runner but remains unlikely to beat Haskins and Burrow.
The veteran coach was quick to praise Burrow after the contest, noting his improvement in delivering the football.
Despite the battle, Haskins said it remains important for the trio to stay close. I know I played very well.
On track to graduate in May, Burrow could go elsewhere as a graduate student with two years of eligibility remaining.
If OSU opts to start Haskins, Burrow said he would not necessarily transfer.
The therapists are like, 'Man this is insane; I've never seen anyone work this hard.' They nearly see progression every day. I've put my heart and soul into it. If I were to leave it would be pretty devastating for me. "But at the same time, I would understand how [the coaches] went".
Whether or not Martell is the starting quarterback this season, he should make his Buckeye debut sooner rather than later.
HIGH ON DRE'MONT JONES: Meyer said defensive tackle Dre'Mont Jones "probably had the best spring of anybody on our team". And he said a "gut feeling" also plays a role when he chooses a quarterback. "I just sit back and put my nose to the grindstone and work, and that's what I've done for three years". "I'm going to keep doing what I have to do until it's no longer a question".
- Investor's Guide on Visa Inc. (V) and General Motors Company (GM)
- Wildfire threat off at Oklahoma town
- Apple Seeds iOS 11.4 Beta 2 to Registered Developers
- Comey blames Obama & Lynch for 'jeopardizing' Clinton investigation
- Mplx Lp (MPLX) Rating Grow to Overweight at Citigroup Inc
- As Morgan Stanley (MS) Shares Rose, Jag Capital Management LLC Increased Stake
- After saying 'it's your turn,' Shalane Flanagan celebrates Desiree Linden's win
- Canada pulls families of diplomats in Cuba amid unusual illnesses
- Windows 10 Spring Update Delay Explained as Microsoft Releases New Build
- Bargain or Bait? Stock Update on Lam Research Corporation (NASDAQ:LRCX)