"Following the advice of the National Moon Sighting Committee (NMSC), the President-General enjoins the Nigerian Muslim Ummah to search for the crescent of Ramadan 1439 AH immediately after sunset on Wednesday 16th May, 2018 equivalent to 29th Sha'aban 1439 AH".
Fasting, or the abstinence from food and drink from sunrise to sunset, develops a quality called taqwa, or the awareness that Allah is always watching.
ReutersEid al-Fitr begins when the new moon is spotted, marking the end of the Islamic fast of Ramadan.
They are also encouraged to engage in more charity work while they fast to bring them closer to God and remind them of the suffering of the less fortunate. "Therefore we are announcing the Ramadan will start on the 17 of May, Thursday".
He shared his thoughts, which were backed with the Quran, in Abuja at a pre-Ramadan lecture on "Muslims and Nation Building" organized jointly by Organisation of Tadhamunul Muslimeen (OTM) and The Muslim Congress (TMC), Daily Trust reports.
The Islamic holy month of Ramadan will begin Thursday in Saudi Arabia, the land of the religion's two holiest sites, authorities said. The whole point of fasting is controlling your desires which also means refraining from intimate relationships with your partners.
All Muslims have to pay zakat during the month of Ramadan, the Muslim holy month of fasting. Travelers, sick persons and menstruating women are permitted to skip fasting, provided that they fast later on for a period equivalent to the number of missed obligatory days.
"With the rising of tonight's moon, I send my greetings and best wishes to all Muslims observing Ramadan in the United States and around the world", Trump said.
Ramadan is a 30 day period of fasting recognizing the completion of the holy book by the Prophet Muhammad.
"We as a generation are much more aware of our health and wellbeing now so it is a good time to make people aware of what is and isn't good to eat during Ramadan", Dr Huda Al-Kateb said.
Taraweeh is the special prayer held post Isha'a namaz on every night of Ramadan, when the entire Quran is narrated in divided portions over the next 27 days. The prayer consists of a sermon followed by the short congregational prayer.
- Kensington Palace Reportedly Blindsided as Meghan Markle's Dad Withdraws From Wedding
- Ex-CIA employee identified as suspect in 'Vault 7' leaks
- Snap Inc. announces GDPR compliance, adherence to privacy by design principles
- Atletico, Marseille Brace Up For Epic Europa League Clash
- CMS teachers prepare for rally in Raleigh
- Ambassador recall is 'outrageous and displays gross double-standards'
- Virgin Media and TV3 secure Champions League and Europa League rights
- Hero canine rescues his pal from drowning in pool in viral video
- Samsung introduces new colours for the Galaxy S9 and S9+
- Netflix to invest 85% spending on original content