A major tragedy has struck a boat carrying 40 people in Godavari river in East Godavari district. "When the boat is nearly 10 minutes away to the banks, heavy rain and wind occurred, the boat lost balance and slid one side".
Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu and Deputy Chief Minister (Home) N China Rajappa spoke to East Godavari district officials over phone and enquired about the incident. It is believed to have capsized due to gusty winds. There were at least five children in the boat according to the survivors.
The boat's owner, Mohammad Khaja, surrendered, police in Devipatnam said. The passengers had a narrow escape as the driver wheeled the boat to the shore and they jumped off before the entire boat was completely gutted. "We are interviewing those who swam ashore to ascertain what happened". There were no immediate reports of overcrowding and the ferry captain quickly reported to the local police station to give a statement. As there is no road to the place where the mishap occurred, rescue teams had a tough time reaching the spot. The EG district administration has temporarily halted all movement of motor launches in the area.
- Prosecutor drops privacy invasion charge against Missouri governor after jury selection begins
- World Health Organization calls for trans fats to be eliminated within five years
- Malaysian politician Anwar Ibrahim released after royal pardon
- Fortnite Patch v4.2 Officially Delayed Due to Unknown Issues
- Dutch museums publish two hidden pages from Anne Frank's diary
- Manhattan to stop prosecuting most low-level marijuana cases in August
- Man City soak up fans' adulation in victory parade
- Explosion in California leaves 1 dead, 2 injured
- National Assembly Receives 2018 Budget Report
- Mental Health Awareness Week: Graduates fear telling employers about issues