Alfie's parents Tom Evans and Kate James staged numerous legal fights in effort to prolong their son's care away from Alder Hey Children's Hospital.
Crowds gathered outside of Goodison Park, Everton's football ground, on Tuesday to mark the toddler's life as the funeral procession travelled through the city.
A black funeral hearse carrying his tiny white coffin, adorned with a blue heart and toy soldiers can be seen driving through the streets of Liverpool.
Alfie became the subject of a huge legal and ethical battle after courts ruled that doctors should stop his treatment for a neurological condition.
The funeral of Alfie Evans is taking place in Liverpool later today. Mourners applauded and threw flowers as the cortege passed by following a private service earlier in the day.
Doctors at Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool told the parents that Alfie had a terminal brain disease and further treatment would be futile.
Tributes were left outside the stadium at the bottom of a statue of famous Evertonian Dixie Dean. Fly high with the angels.
A key argument presented by Evans, 21, and James, 20, "was that they should decide what is best for their son", adds the broadcaster.
The parents of a seriously ill little boy from Liverpool are fighting a court ruling allowing medics to withdraw his life support.
A vigil was held last Wednesday on what would have been the toddler's second birthday. His parents had wanted to take him overseas to Italy for further treatment - but doctors said further treatment was futile and his life support was withdrawn last month.
- Dr Mahathir to remain in power one to two years
- BCCI to introduce women's IPL in 3 years: CoA chief Vinod Rai
- Stardew Valley Coming to PlayStation Vita Later this Month
- Meghan Markle's father not attending royal wedding
- Ex-CIA employee identified as suspect in 'Vault 7' leaks
- Here's The Full Trailer For Queen Biopic 'Bohemian Rhapsody'
- Marcus Morris: Players On The Pacers And Raptors 'Can't Guard'
- OnePlus India announces OnePlus 6 Launch Offers
- LeBron James played major role in creation of current Celtics roster
- Sargent completes 1st round at NCAA Regional in Kissimmee