The all-new 8-Series Coupe will make its debut June 15, a day before the 24 Hours of Le Mans race at the Circuit de la Sarthe in France kicks off.
The new luxury sports auto will be presented for the first time on 15th June 2018, on the eve of the 24-hour race.
BMW has officially revealed its plans of reentering Le Mans endurance racing after exiting the racing discipline in 2011. The race cars have already competed at the season opener in Spa-Francorchamps and the US-American IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. The debut of the production model has benefitted tremendously from the experience gained from motor racing.
It rides on 20-inch wheels, packs a 4.4-liter V-8 good for 530 hp and 553 lb-ft of torque, sends its power to all four wheels via a ZF eight-speed automatic, and offers an electronically controlled differential, rear steering, and continuously variable dampers.
In fact, BMW has teased the 8 Series coupé sans any camouflage, lurking in the shadows behind the 850 GTE racecar.
"The [24 Hours of Le Mans] race is a pure demonstration of passion, dynamics and long-distance capability", explained Klaus Fröhlich, board member of the BMW AG, Development.
Despite its sporting pretensions, BMW claims the new model is "equally as convincing in the role of the sovereign cruiser that pampers its passengers".
By the time the new BMW 8 Series finally arrives as a production vehicle it will be getting on for 20 years since the last 8 Series bit the dust and BMW anoraks around the world starting pining for a new 8 Series.
- 23 missing after boat carrying 40 capsizes in Andhra Pradesh's Godavari river
- Keyless cars have a unsafe downside that has killed dozens of people
- World prepares for U.S. sanctions on Iran
- Planned Parenthood, ACLU Sue Iowa Governor Over Fetal Heartbeat Abortion Law
- National Assembly Receives 2018 Budget Report
- Iran Says US Exit From Deal Will Not Impact Its Oil
- Mohamed Salah more hard to stop than Messi, says Rafael Benítez
- Marcus Morris: Players On The Pacers And Raptors 'Can't Guard'
- Malaysian politician Anwar Ibrahim released after royal pardon
- Golfer Lucas Glover's wife arrested on domestic violence charges