Ironically, the Portuguese manager is now the favourite to replace Sam Allardyce this summer at Goodison Park, according to the Mirror, so it looks as though there is no near end in sight for this one.
Allardyce's rudimentary style of play has proved deeply unpopular despite lifting the Toffees from 13th in the Premier League when he was appointed in November to finish eighth.
Since then, he has guided Crystal Palace and now Everton to Premier League safety in consecutive seasons, cementing his status as a so-called "firefighter" at struggling clubs.
"On behalf of the chairman, board of directors and Mr Moshiri, I'd like to thank Sam for the job he has done at Everton".
Allardyce was hired after a dismal start to the season under Ronald Koeman saw Everton fearing a relegation battle. During his tenure, the club was also forced to apologise to Allardyce last month for a survey that was sent to fans asking them to rank their manager's performance on a scale of 0 to 10.
The former England manager said in April that he had spoken with Moshiri and that he would remain at the club next season.
England's all-time top scorer had reportedly agreed terms on a £12.5 million move to DC United in Major League Soccer last week.
A statement was released on Everton's website this morning to announce the decision with chief executive Denis Barrett-Baxendale stating the decision was taken "as part of our longer-term plan".
"I'm shocked, disappointed and disgusted that the football club didn't have the decency to tell me, my director of football and my staff about the changes", said Allardyce.
"I've done all that I can, the backroom staff have done all that they can, and the players have done all that they can".
- Why the Premier League transfer window is opening earlier this year
- Thunderstorm, squalls likely in north India today
- 10 basic rules for fasting during Ramadan
- JR Smith Shoves Al Horford Mid-Air, Marcus Smarts Retaliates
- Eden Hazard: I'll stay if Chelsea sign new stars
- Piers Morgan tears apart Meghan Markle's half-sister in interview following dad's drama
- West Bengal panchayat polls: Repoll in 573 booths today
- Sonam Kapoor walks the Cannes 2018 red carpet in Nude trail gown
- Pulling the Curtain Back on EAFE ESG Optimized Ishares MSCI ETF (ESGD)
- Uddhav Thackeray dares BJP to fight polls with ballot