After their 14-year-olds were senselessly killed in the Parkland mass shooting, Lori Alhadeff and Ryan Petty made a decision to run for the Broward County School Board.
Petty is running for Seat 8 on the school board, or an At-Large seat; Alhadeff is running to represent District 4 on the board.
"My eyes were open that day and I decided I needed to be more involved in how issues like safety and security are handled at the district to make sure our students and teachers are safe", Petty said. After more than two months of denial, Broward Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie announced at the beginning of May that confessed-shooter Nikolas Cruz was assigned to the rehabilitation program back in 2013 for vandalism.
"We've gone from the complete extreme of over-disciplining kids to not disciplining kids, which is what we have now", Alhadeff said. "The laws that we passed in Florida have been used over 130 times to keep firearms away from those who would hurt themselves and others", said Petty, "That's why I'm filing to run for school board".
"For me, this happened to my daughter at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, and I feel where I can make immediate changes would be on the school board", Alhadeff said. Petty's daughter Alaina and Alhadeff's daughter Alyssa were two of 14 students and three school officials killed.
Petty Family Handout
Petty works in the telecom industry and was appointed to a state commission investigating the Stoneman Douglas tragedy. "He's implemented a lot of changes", Alhadeff said. Korn also has a third challenger, 19-year-old activist Elijah Manley.
"I actually love the Democratic process", she said. "As a school board member, I'm going to ask the tough questions", she said.
Alhadeff and Petty are being endorsed by a group of Parkland parents called Concerned Citizens of Broward County.
The Broward County School District is the country's sixth largest school district and the second-largest in Florida behind Miami-Dade County. He's challenging incumbent Ann Murray for the District 1 seat, which includes Hollywood, Hallandale Beach and Dania Beach. She is being challenged by Mikelange Olbel, who runs a nonprofit for underprivileged youth.
Both candidates will likely face incumbents in the race.
- Driving Needs: 5 Car Accessories for a Better Ride
- Carrick moves straight into coaching role for Man Utd
- 10 basic rules for fasting during Ramadan
- Jets head to Vegas tied 1-1 with Knights
- Eden Hazard: I'll stay if Chelsea sign new stars
- Writing essay service how it is.
- Uddhav Thackeray dares BJP to fight polls with ballot
- AIR 1 Nishita Purohit Shares Preparation Strategies with NEET, AIIMS Aspirants
- GOP Georgia governor candidate bringing 'Deportation bus tour' to state's sanctuary cities
- TN 12th Result 2018 declared; Over 6750 Schools score 100% results