Amazon has fired another shot across the supermarket industry's bow.
Amazon is taking the next step in its integration with Whole Foods Market, confirming that it will offer 10 percent discounts on Whole Foods sale items and special deals on top grocery items to its more than 100 million Amazon Prime members. The savings are only available in Whole Foods' Florida stores and they'll come to Whole Foods locations nationwide starting the summer.
The new strategy is seen intensifying a price war in the $800 billion USA grocery industry. (Typically hundreds of Whole Foods products are on sale at a given moment.) In addition, Prime members will now enjoy deeper weekly discounts on select popular items. This week's deals, for example, include half off wild-caught halibut, buy-one, get-one free 12-pack case of sparkling water and $2.99 for a pound of organic strawberries.
That will create a code on their phone that the Whole Foods cashier can scan at checkout.
Experience upcoming Amazon program for Amazon prime members.
The discount program is Amazon's latest effort to connect the two companies. Amazon cut prices on many items at Whole Foods upon completing the acquisition past year, as part of its broader push into physical retail stores. Amazon expects to expand that offering later this year.
Amazon cut prices at Whole Foods for all customers once it completed its purchase of the chain in August, and announced another round of price cuts in November. The company says it ultimately plans to make Amazon Prime the Whole Foods Market customer rewards program.
- U.S. stocks close lower amid rising Treasury yield
- Lightning sticking with same lineup in Game 3 against Capitals
- STALKER 2 is coming in 2021, apparently
- Ex-CIA employee identified as suspect in 'Vault 7' leaks
- Japan's economy expected to show sluggish growth in first quarter
- LeBron James played major role in creation of current Celtics roster
- OnePlus India announces OnePlus 6 Launch Offers
- Sargent completes 1st round at NCAA Regional in Kissimmee
- BMW 8 Series Coupe Officially Confirmed To Debut On June 15
- Click It Or Ticket: Seat Belt Safety Awareness Month