Two Sunderland beaches have each won two coveted awards marking their status among the best in the country.
One in four children has never swum in the sea in Britain and nearly one in five have never set foot on a British beach, research has revealed.
In 2015, the Isle of Wight Council stopped applying for Blue Flags because cuts to the way it managed beaches here meant they would not meet the criteria.
"Add to that the £1.3m scheme to revitalise the seafront which is nearing completion - including an outdoor leisure area featuring children's water play facilities - and Seaton Carew offers a great, fun day out for all the family".
Roker and Seaburn beaches have both secured worldwide Blue Flag status and achieved the Seaside Award, from leading environmental charity, Keep Britain Tidy.
Visitors to award-winning beaches can be sure of a clean, safe beach with great facilities and water quality.
Swanage Central beach has also picked up both awards.
Allison Ogden-Newton, Keep Britain Tidy's chief executive, said: "The success of the beaches in reaching the very high standards demanded is testament to all those who have worked so hard to protect and improve our beaches - from beach managers and volunteers to local people and businesses".
"When you see a Blue Flag raised at a beach or marina, you know that it's clean, sustainably managed and a safe place to swim".
The news comes as research from Keep Britain Tidy reveals that 27 per cent of children have never been swimming in the sea in this country.
FROM today, 15 beaches in the south east of England will be able to fly a Blue Flag - an worldwide award that tells the public it's one of the best beaches in the world.
- STV Group (STVG) Insider George Watt Buys 6038 Shares
- OnePlus 6 Avengers Edition leaked in renders
- Kangaroo back home after being loose overnight in SC
- Kellogg's latest United States brand to close door on Venezuela
- Arbor Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE:ABR), CymaBay Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:CBAY)
- Bail for mom of 10 tortured kids set at $495000
- Samsung Galaxy A8 Star receives its WiFi certification
- HBO Docuseries 'The Case Against Adnan Syed' to Center on 'Serial' Subject
- Writing essay service how it is.
- Facebook launches voice posts, two other features from India