Maryland prosecutors are asking the state's highest court to deny a new trial for the man whose murder conviction became the subject of the popular podcast "Serial".
However, in March this year the Court of Special Appeals ruled to vacate his conviction and granted him a retrial.
During the fall of 2014, it seemed almost impossible to go anywhere without falling into a conversation about the enthralling podcast "Serial", which debuted in October of that year to a seemingly immediate (and obsessed) audience.
In June 2016, a Baltimore Circuit Court Judge vacated Syed's conviction and granted him a new trial after new evidence challenged the reliability of cell phone data linking Syed to the crime scene, and a long-awaited alibi witness took the stand.
The documentary will debut in Europe on Sky Atlantic and it will closely re-examine the events that lead up to Hae Min Lee's disappearance.
If you're unfamiliar with the case, the series will explore the 1999 disappearance and murder of 18-year-old student Hae Min Lee, and the conviction of her ex-boyfriend Adnan Syed.
Henrietta Conrad, Jemima Khan, Eric Fellner, Tim Bevan, and Andrew Stearn will executive produce the series, which will hit HBO in the US and Sky Atlantic in Europe. It has been in production since 2015, and director Amy Berg was given exclusive access to Syed, his family and attorneys, and other key players.
The new series will reportedly include "new discoveries, as well as groundbreaking revelations that challenge the state's case".
Nick Cave will be scoring original music for the series.
At this point, no specific premiere date for the series has been confirmed.
- Tata Steel reports Q4 net profit at Rs 14688 crore
- SCOTUS Feigns Federalism in Sports Betting Decision
- Rise in Ozone-Destroying Chemical Despite Ban Puzzles Scientists
- Metro health officials confirm E. coli case linked to lettuce
- PRIMARY: Voter turn-out normal for primary election
- Facebook launches voice posts, two other features from India
- The New Trailer for Forthcoming Whitney Documentary Will Give You Chills
- Bail for mom of 10 tortured kids set at $495000
- Ford to Resume F-150, Super Duty Vehicle Production Within Days
- 2nd District is focus as Nebraska residents vote in primary