The shopping experience, which will be divvied up into Walmart's Everyday Brands and Premium Brands from Lord & Taylor sections, was meant to court high-income shoppers with its new offerings from more upscale brands.
This is according to the New York Times, which reports that Lord & Taylor and Walmart are both referring to the new online store as a premium destination, reflecting both Lord & Taylor's need to reach a broader audience, and for Walmart to attract higher net worth individuals.
The store will feature brand names like Tommy Bahama, Lucky Brand and Vince Camuto.
Adding new retail brands and products to its website will help Walmart compete with Amazon, which is poised to surpass Walmart to become the number one apparel retailer in the country later this year. These items will be available for customers that head over to the flagship online store for the retailer.
"This innovative flagship on Walmart.com is an entirely new model for us and demonstrates the evolution of Lord & Taylor and our commitment to advancing our digital presence", said RJ Cilley, Lord & Taylor's SVP of digital. This includes free two-day shipping on all orders that come in at $35 or more. "The next step is the launch of the Lord & Taylor flagship store, which introduces exciting new premium brands to our customers".
The clothing that Walmart sells will live under the "everyday brands" tab, and the Lord & Taylor assortment will live under the "premium brands" tab.
Walmart says the new shopping experience will be rolled out "in the coming weeks".
The new Walmart.com is nearly here.
Lord & Taylor, in turn, faces numerous obstacles that US department stores are grappling with today.
"Walmart doesn't seem like a likely choice to make a splash in fashion", said Richard Baum, managing partner of Consumer Growth Partners. Its parent, Hudson's Bay, has downsized the company as brick-and-mortar sales fall.
- Pliskova attacks umpire's chair after loss
- IGP Idris plotting to implicate me - Bukola Saraki alleges
- Google rolls out Snooze and Nudge features for Gmail
- Rise in Ozone-Destroying Chemical Despite Ban Puzzles Scientists
- Argentina World Cup manual included chapter on seducing Russian women
- Ronda Rousey eager for WWE title, baby 'someday soon'
- Name change is expected to be adopted 15 May 2018
- Bangladesh Supreme Court upholds bail for opposition leader Khaleda Zia
- The New Trailer for Forthcoming Whitney Documentary Will Give You Chills
- Deadpool gatecrashes Stephen Colbert's monologue to hit out at Trump