"The accomplishment of these and other complicated and important tasks was largely possible due to the high combat and technical readiness of the navy".
Russia's new weapons, including an array of new nuclear systems, will ensure the country's security for decades to come, President Vladimir Putin said Tuesday at a meeting with top military brass. The Russian leader touted his navy's role in maintaining national security and enforcing Moscow's interests overseas, especially in Syria, where Russian warships have helped Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his Iranian allies battle rebels and jihadis attempting to overthrow the Syrian government.
"Due to the remaining threat of incursions by worldwide terrorists in Syria, our ships carrying Kalibr cruise missiles will be constantly deployed in the Mediterranean Sea", Putin said at a military meeting.
In this frame grab provided by Russian Defense Ministry press service, a long-range Kalibr cruise missile is launched by a Russian Navy ship in the eastern Mediterranean, Aug. 19, 2016.
Russian Federation has been involved in Syria's civil war since September 2015.
During its campaign against Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS), Russian surface ships and submarines carried out several massive cruise missile strikes on various terrorist targets.
So, in March of 2018 to the shores of Syria there arrived a ship of the Navy of Russia Admiral Essen, are also equipped with missiles Caliber. Russian warships provide a crucial buffer on the southern flank of the USA -led NATO Western military alliance in Europe.
The range of tasks facing the Russian Navy grew considerably wider in recent years and so did the geographic scope of its presence in the Mediterranean, the North Atlantic and the Asia-Pacific Region.
- HP's new 'all-in-one' PC to come pre-installed with Alexa
- Michigan State Settles Nassar Claims for $500 Million
- Google partially rolls back Chrome 66's autoplay changes
- Ramazan moon sighted in Pakistan, faithful to start fasts from Thursday
- Trio of Razorback Programs Earn APR National Recognition
- Dublin-based fintech firm Circle raises $110m in funding round
- 4U: A Symphonic Celebration of Prince Announces 2018 Tour Dates
- What do you hear: Yanny or Laurel?
- Omo-Agege appears at Senate plenary
- Harbor Freight Tools recalling over 1 million chainsaws