It seems the producers held nothing back and dove deep into Houston's life to answer long-standing questions about her drug use, her turbulent marriage, and her relationship with Robyn Crawford who is referred to as her "safety net" in the trailer. Directed by Oscar victor Kevin Macdonald, the film explores the late singer's life and features interviews with those closest to her. Since then, several filmmakers have been clamoring to tell the story of her life, but only one film has been officially authorized by Houston's family.
Check out the trailer as it teases revelations about Houston's longtime friend and assistant Robyn Crawford and the nature of their relationship.
"He wanted to be on the stage, he wanted to be in the forefront", the person contends in the clip. "And eventually, she stepped down to lift him up". One choice clip shows Houston throwing shade at another pop star of her time. "Paula Abdul ain't shit", she says. 'That girl is singing off-key on the record'.
A celebrated soul and gospel performer in the 1960s and early 70s, Dee Dee Warwick's career was nevertheless overshadowed by the success of her sister, for whom she performed backing vocals towards the end of her career. "So I think it was the combination of thinking there's this really interesting personal mystery, but also how this woman was a musical genius".
The film, which will make its theatrical debut on July 6, incorporates features like never-before-seen archival footage and rare performances to wrap viewers into Houston's life. Watch the new trailer above.
- BSNL rolls out Rs 118 prepaid plan to take on Reliance Jio
- Former Aston Villa defender Samuel dies
- Germany's Merkel defies Trump, defends Iran nuclear deal
- Ramazan moon sighted in Pakistan, faithful to start fasts from Thursday
- Kim Kardashian Deletes Appetite Suppressant Instagram Ad After Backlash
- Google partially rolls back Chrome 66's autoplay changes
- Bound Saudi referee given red card following bribery charges
- Chelsea battle with Arsenal in pursuit of midfielder
- Total poised to pull out of Iran's SP11 project without United States waiver
- Zombieland 2 is on, and with the original cast