The mission of the Ole Miss Student-Athlete Development program is to challenge student-athletes to be lifelong learners while pursuing continuous improvement academically, socially, personally and professionally during and beyond their careers as student-athletes. The University of Arkansas has earned a total of 23 awards since the start of the APR Public Recognition program.
The other Duke programs recognized were men's and women's fencing, men's and women's soccer, field hockey, men's golf, women's lacrosse, women's cross country, women's tennis and volleyball.
Schools frequently tout April as a gauge of their academic success because athletes receive points for staying in school and for staying on pace to earn a degree within five years. The wrestling program has been recognized eight times, including each of the past four years, and the women's cross country program, directed by John Gondak, has been recognized seven times.
The two UA teams were among the 1,200 teams from 312 Division I schools to be recognized for academic excellence. This year marks the first year in which the baseball program has been honored with a Public Recognition Award.
"We're very proud that four of our programs received the Public Recognition Award from the NCAA", Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Lisa Campos said.
Women's Tennis became the seventh Razorback program to earn distinction from the NCAA as part of the APR Public Recognition Awards. The APR accounts for eligibility, retention and graduation and provides a measure of each team's academic performance. Of the 64-team women's tournament, Gonzaga was one of 15 honored.
The APR is an annual scorecard of academic achievement calculated for all Division I sports teams. Nine teams earned a 100 percent GSR in the NCAA's 2017 report.
April scores for all Division I teams will be released May 23.
More troubling is that schools like North Carolina, which endured a lengthy scandal while enrolling athletes in sub-standard classes in order to keep them eligible, turned in excellent April scores while that behavior was occurring. Penn State's 31 NCAA titles since 1992-93 lead all Big Ten Conference institutions.
- How Retro, Samsung & Apple Back In Court Over Galaxy 2
- Justify Draws 7th Position For Preakness
- Travolta shows off moves
- Netanyahu: Riots on border are not civilian protests, but warlike acts by Hamas
- Sporting CP condemn 'vandalism and aggression' after reports of players attacked
- Turkish Banker Gets 32 Months in Prison Following Iranian-Sanctions Conviction
- Ronaldo speaks on Neymar's transfer to Real Madrid
- Barcelona to Play Mamelodi Sundowns in Mandela Centenary Cup
- Harbor Freight Tools recalling over 1 million chainsaws
- HOOPS HOAX: Man, 25, allegedly posed as teen to play basketball