The First Daughter came to the defense of the tennis star on social media on Thursday, writing that it was "ridiculous" that Williams was unseeded from the tennis tournament after having taken time off from the game to give birth to her daughter.
Apparently, 23 Grand Slam titles, celebrity status and a net worth north of $160 million still isn't enough to insulate her from the type of bias women often face when they return to work after having or adopting a baby. She has won each of the other three Slams at least six times.
The WTA and its players' council are considering such a rule, but French Open organizers also had the chance to seed Williams. "So, yeah, I definitely think that would be a nice change".
Serena Williams recently returned to tennis following maternity leave.
"Certainly when I was playing you nearly didn't allow yourself to think about having children while you were playing, because there wasn't the assistance available", she said.
Wozniacki finally claimed her first major title this year, and admitted that it has lifted a weight off her shoulders.
"It's normal to give birth".
She took to Twitter Thursday to express her discontent with the Women's Tennis Association (WTA), demanding the organization to change its rules regarding maternity leave. It's normal to have protected ranking.
Ellis now has two children - but she has spoken openly about her own fertility difficulties. Currently, it is up to individual tournaments to decide where to seed them. Serena, who was ranked No. 1 before giving birth in 2017, is now ranked at No. 453.
Top seed and two-time runner-up Simona Halep faces Alison Riske of the United States in her opener while second seed and Australian Open champion Caroline Wozniacki starts against another American, Danielle Collins. "But not yet. Maybe this goes without saying, but it needs to be said in a powerful way: I absolutely want more Grand Slams".
"I think the biggest difference is really when I'm in here in the press conferences", she said.
- North Korea's explosive, "peace-loving" gesture of dismantling its nuclear site
- Deutsche Bank said set to embark on big equities retreat following review
- Rachel Dolezal Faces Felony Charges of Welfare Fraud in Washington State
- Reading Public Library wins national award
- Latest Ontario Election Polls Show NDP Gaining Ground, Tories Stalling
- The 2018 hurricane season expected to be near or above-normal
- Global warming may have 'devastating' effects on rice, study says
- SpaceX launches, releases NASA's GRACE-FO, Iridium Next satellites
- What does Meghan Markle's coat of arms mean?
- Suspect in custody after shooting at in middle school