The Illinois Department of Public Health is reporting six cases of Salmonella that match a multi-state outbreak strain. Several of those people have been hospitalized as a result.
The people who took ill came from IL (6), IN (11), MI (32), Missouri (10), and OH (1), the agency said.
It's not just Walmart pre-cut melon.
It's also important to remember food safety measures if you buy whole melons.
Most people who have been infected with salmonella Adelaide bought pre-cut melon at Walmart or Kroger stores in the Midwest, health officials said. The CDC said it is working to identify a common supplier that might be the original source.
The outbreak has been connected to pre-cut melon purchased at any Illinois Walmart.
Walmart settled lawsuits in 2014 with the families of some of the 33 people who died of listeria infections traced to cantaloupes from Colorado that the retailer sold. Illnesses starts on dates ranging from April 30 to May 28. Walmart and Kroger removed all pre-cut melon from the states where cases occurred. Most people affected by salmonella develop diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps and recover without treatment.
The investigation into the outbreak is expanding rapidly.
Elderly people, infants and anyone with weak immune systems are more likely to have a severe illness.
More information and steps to take to reduce the risk of infection can be found on the CDC Salmonella website at www.cdc.gov/salmonella/.
- World's oldest footprints found in China
- Poundworld set to enter administration - four Bradford stores at risk
- David Beckham Instagram: Victoria Beckham’s hubby breaks silence following split claims
- Potential No. 1 pick Ayton says he'll only work out for Suns
- France's Macron threatens rare rebuke of US at summit
- Game of Thrones Prequel Pilot Greenlit at HBO!
- Serena Williams Forced To Withdraw From French Open Due To Pectoral Injury
- Sloane Stephens defeats Madison Keys to reach second Major final
- Woman gored by bison after crowd gets too close
- Halloween Reboot Trailer Will Haunt Your Nightmares