Past year there were 422,147 cases of sexually transmitted infections recorded in England, and syphilis accounted for 7,137 of those incidents, CNN noted.
"Syphilis shows the highest concentration in the Salem area, probably a combination of age ranges and population density; syphilis is typically seen in the 30-50 year range", she explained.
Public health officials are often unable to investigate STIs because cases may not be able to give a name or address of exposed partners, and the number of partners people may have has increased.
Cases of syphilis in England are at their highest level for almost 70 years, new figures show. The man had travelled to south-east Asia from where he could have got the infection.
In March 2018, the first case was detected in the United Kingdom of a strain of gonorrhoea highly resistant to the two types of antibiotics commonly used to treat the infection.
There has been a rise of 3 percent in SHS attendance between 2016 and 2017 (3.2 million in 2016 and 3.3 million in 2017). In Australia, syphilis cases increased by 107% and gonorrhea increased by 63% between 2011 and 2016.
Last year, the Public Health England launched a nationwide sexual health campaign called Protect Against STIs.
The chairwoman of the Local Government Association's community wellbeing board said the rise was placing a "significant strain" on council resources.
Health experts have expressed concern over a decline in chlamydia testing in sexual health clinics.
She added: "Government must reverse cuts to councils' public health grants because we can not tackle this by stretching services even thinner".
Public Health England noted that most of this decrease had taken place in sexual and reproductive health services, where chlamydia testing has fallen by 61% since 2015, a trend "likely reflecting a reduction in service provision".
"A reduced ability to identify, test and treat exposed people means they may be unaware of their infection and could be spreading it to others", Landers said.
The body recommended that local authorities enable young women to be tested for chlamydia while accessing contraceptive services. The recommendations also emphasize on high-quality relationships and sex education at schools.
Dr. Gwenda Hughes, head of the STI section at Public Health England, told CNN in March that the case was "the first time a case has displayed such high-level resistance to both of these drugs and to most other commonly used antibiotics".
- Elections Ontario warns Ottawa voters to double-check polling place
- Hilary Duff pregnant with second baby
- Cavs' Perkins warns Curry and Warriors
- Porsche Taycan is the name for the production Mission E
- First lady had 'big operation,' can't fly for a month
- Gabriel Fernandez Tortured & Killed: Mother Gets Life, Boyfriend Sentenced To Death
- Golden dynasty: Warriors sweep Cavs, capture 3rd National Basketball Association crown in 4 seasons
- Valve to Stop Policing Content on Steam
- Why Chris Mannix Thinks Celtics Should Avoid LeBron James In Free Agency
- United States company offers new look at prototype flying auto