Investors and regulators were jolted earlier this year after Japan's cryptocurrency exchange Coincheck was hacked in a high-profile theft of over half a billion dollars worth of digital currency. The venues have come under growing scrutiny in South Korea, the US and other large economies in recent months amid a range of issues including thefts, market manipulation and money laundering. NY time on Friday and was trading at $6,781.19 as of 11:43 a.m.in Hong Kong on Monday, bringing its year-to-date loss to 53 percent.
A statement on the exchange's site sought to reassure users - saying that the remainder of the coins were "safely stored" - but Reuters reports that the value of Bitcoin tumbled to two-month lows in the hack's aftermath. More recently, in December past year, South Korean cryptocurrency exchange Youbit shut down and filed for bankruptcy after being hacked twice.
Enthusiasm for virtual currencies has waned partly due to a string of cyber heists, including the almost $500 million theft from Japanese exchange Coincheck Inc.in late January.
South Korean cryptocurrency exchange Coinrail said it was hacked over the weekend, sparking a steep fall in bitcoin amid renewed concerns about security at virtual currency exchanges as global policy makers struggled to regulate trading in the digital asset.
Coinrail was mostly trading ERC20 tokens, according to CoinMarketCap.
"This is 'If it can happen to A, it can happen to B and it can happen to C, ' then people panic because someone is selling", said Stephen Innes, head of Asia-Pacific trade at OANDA.
Coinrail contends that 70% of its total coin reserves have been moved to an offline cold wallet and remain safe.
First of all, CoinRail cooperates with the investigating agency as much as possible to protect your assets as much as possible and to hackers as a criminal measure in order to minimize and recover the damage. The company wasn't immediately available for further comments.
- Wolfenstein Youngblood Announced; Co-Op For Main Campaign Confirmed
- New Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Revealed at E3!
- Winner of $315 million Powerball jackpot comes forward
- Same result, different day for French Open champion Rafael Nadal
- Iran, Russia vow to uphold nuclear deal at China summit
- Gears 5 is coming to Xbox One in 2019
- Bourdain’s Death Means Loss Of A Voice For Immigrant Workers
- The Elder Scrolls: Legends Card Game Confirmed for Consoles
- Memorable Moments From the 2018 Tony Awards
- Halo Infinite Announced by Microsoft Through New E3 2018 Trailer