Thiem, playing in his first Grand Slam final, simply had few answers to Nadal's brilliance.
"Along with Nadal, he is literally still the world of men's tennis, and to not play a Grand Slam on a surface that we play for two months, on which everybody has grown up on, to not come to the showpiece of claycourt tennis, it hurts the tournament, it hurts professional tennis, it hurts men's tennis". "I think he is really good".
Over the best-of-five sets on clay, Nadal improved to 111-2 - it is a figure nearly as imposing as the nearby Eiffel Tower - his lone reverses coming against Robin Soderling in 2009 and Novak Djokovic in 2015 at the French Open.
When he was recovering from injury this year, for the umpteenth time in his career, he was focused on this title and nothing - certainly not Dominic Thiem - was going to stand in his way.
Although Nadal subsequently received treatment on his forearm it seemingly had little adverse effect and, after a second break of serve, his 11th triumph was secured at the fifth time of asking when Thiem sent a return long. Nadal, 31, becomes the first man in history to win the same major 10 times.
Nadal -5.5 games is available on the Exchange at [1.68] and given the fact that Nadal has tended to dominate Thiem on non-quick clay, this should be a very likely outcome if Nadal wins the final.
Here are the list of numbers behind Rafael Nadal's 11th French Open crown.
Nadal is so dominant and so impervious on clay, in general, and at this tournament, especially, it made sense for Thiem to go for broke as much as possible, accepting that there would be risks along with the rewards. However, in Open Era, he is the first player ever (man or woman) to complete La Undécima in a single Grand Slam event.
But he could not match Nadal's point-by-point consistency and intensity on Sunday.
He joined Australia's Margaret Court as the only player to win 11 titles at the same major, while the victory also took his record at Roland Garros to 86 wins and just two losses.
Thiem dug in - especially in the roughly 13-minute sixth game - but he crumbled attempting to stay in the set, making four unforced errors.
However, it was not all smooth sailing for Nadal on Sunday, as he started suffering cramps on his left hand in the third set. After guzzling water during his visit from the doctor, Nadal was back to playing his unmistakable brand of almost unbeatable clay-court tennis.
- Bourdain’s Death Means Loss Of A Voice For Immigrant Workers
- Trump Withdraws Endorsement Of G-7 Communique Over Trudeau Statements
- Theresa May slams 'UNJUSTIFIED' Trump tariffs as TRADE WAR with European Union looms
- Durant expects to re-sign with Warriors
- Diagnosed With Parkinson's Disease, Anthony Bourdain Decided to Quit Rather Than Fight
- WHO chief says Ebola outbreak in Congo is stabilising
- Lotto Max to give away a record-breaking $112 million tonight
- US Embassy in China sends new alert for mystery health issue
- Vince Vaughn Arrested for DUI (Report) | Vince Vaughn
- NY Governor Asks for Federal Probe of Detained Pizza Man