Regardless of where James ends up in free agency this summer, his familiarity with the Celtics is likely to continue. It's felt like a number of seasons in one.
After watching what the Warriors did to the Cavaliers in the Finals, Irving nearly seems bold for talking about a championship. Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum proved they were ready to win immediately.
That came shortly after Celtics play-by-play man Mike Gorman said he wasn't sure if Irving would be a member of the Celtics in the coming seasons.
That's the group Irving will lead next year, and it's the group he could lead for the foreseeable future, if he decides to remain in Boston.
With the news about the Celtics possibly courting LeBron James, rumors have arisen of Irving leaving the Celtics to go play for the New York Knicks.
LeBron James could become a free agent in the summer. While these reports are just talk at this point, while Irving was in Cleveland, he had expressed interest in going to NY to play for the Knicks on multiple occasions. Sports who does analyst work for NBC Sports Boston, appeared Monday on FS1's "The Herd with Colin Cowherd" and outlined why he questions whether the Celtics will have any real interest in meeting with James this summer.
"Well, I mean, I know that question is going to come up a lot over the next year, just based upon where my deal is".
"That's what makes it even more exciting and the challenge is now we have championship pedigree", Irving said. "That's really the only thing I'm anxious about". "Our young guys [have experience] that sometimes other young guys in the league aren't necessarily afforded".
Irving said that's a discussion to be had after the upcoming season. "That's something a lot of us are excited to see from G".
Green Teamers were some of the first to chide James when he evacuated Dan Gilbert's dumpster fire for Miami that summer, only to see James put the nail in the Big Three's coffin with a gentleman's sweep of the Celtics in 2011 and a 45-point coming-out party in the Garden in a career-defining Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals a year later. The bad takeaway is he isn't talking about an extended future with the Celtics.
"I think you guys can feel my attitude is really just redemption next year", Irving said.
"Management and I will have a talk, but that talk won't happen now", he said.
- Real Madrid Appoint Surprise Choice As New Manager
- Cecchinato vows to prove French semi-final was no fluke
- Bacteria Grows On Kitchen Towels, But Health Risks May Be Overblown
- Woman dragged into lake and killed by alligator while walking dogs
- USA unveils new ‘embassy’ in Taiwan amid strained China ties
- New Spider-Man Gameplay Trailer Teases the Sinister Six
- Taliban Kills Afghan Officials As Government's Ceasefire Kicks In
- UK's Theresa May says Russian Federation must change before it returns to G8
- Paris on lockdown as 'armed man takes hostages'
- Kevin Durant Just Made A Shocking Statement About His Future