The move, which generated headlines around the world, didn't appear to sit too well with The Project co-host Waleed Aly when it came up during Tuesday night's episode of the news program.
Robert De Niro didn't hold back at the Tony Awards, using an expletive to blast US President Donald Trump. Aly asked after the footage was replayed on screen.
"This guy just is a jerk", De Niro said. He praised musician Springsteen for his own political activism, saying "Bruce, you can rock the house like nobody else and even more importantly in these perilous times, you rock the vote, always fighting for, in your own words, truth, transparency and integrity in government".
"I'm gonna say one thing: "F*** Trump!" he exclaimed".
Jazz and Motown music played as guests waited for De Niro, chef Nobu Matsuhisa and other Nobu executives to arrive.
In an interview with CBC Toronto after Monday's event, De Niro said he is angry and frustrated with Trump's behavior, adding that he has "no choice but to speak out".
Actor Robert De Niro sparked a politicized uproar during Sunday's Tony Awards, televised live by CBS. "He talks about how he wants to punch people in the face, well, I'd like to punch him in the face".
The 68-year-old star received a Special Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Theatre in honour of his critically acclaimed show.
"After De Niro, CBS told us to do something drastic, so here we are", Groban joked. "Good for him. I mean, it's Robert De Niro".
- Justify claims Triple Crown with win at Belmont Stakes
- Goldman Sachs predicts Brazil will win the 2018 FIFA World Cup
- Trump, Kim Commit to 'Immediate Repatriation' of Korean War Missing
- Victor Lindelof makes surprise Jose Mourinho claim before World Cup
- Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition announced
- Donald Trump Blasts Robert De Niro For Tonys Remarks: "Very Low IQ"
- Sarfrazs career-best 89 helps Pakistan beat Scotland in first T20I
- Watch the explosion that occurs when lava pours into the ocean
- U.S. offers 'unique' guarantees to North Korea on eve of summit
- Read The Joint Statement From President Trump And Kim Jong Un