-States with people sickened: MI (32), IN (11), Missouri (10), IL (six) and OH (one).
The recalled products were distributed to stores in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, and Ohio. Kroger listed affected products on its website.
In news that is sure to strike fear in the heart of fruit salad lovers everywhere, an outbreak of salmonella has been traced to pre-cut melons sold at Walmart, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Whole Foods, Kroger, and Amazon, among other stores.
Indianapolis-based Caito Foods has issued a voluntary recall of some of its fresh-cut watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe and fresh-cut mixed fruit products.
"The investigation is ongoing to determine if products went to additional stores or states", the CDC wrote Friday. The CDC says 31 of the people sickened have been hospitalized, but there have been no deaths reported. They were produced by Caito Foods in Indianapolis from April 17 through Thursday.
The FDA reports the youngest infected is an infant and the oldest is 97 years old.
In a tweet posted on Sunday, FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb urged consumers in the eight affected states to check the "fridge and freezer for recalled pre-cut melon linked to Salmonella outbreak".
If the UPC code is still on the product, consumers can check the number on the U.S. Food & Drug Administration website.
"If you don't remember where you bought pre-cut melon, don't eat it and throw it away", the CDC said in a statement. Salmonella sickens more than one million people annually in the States, with common symptoms including temporary fever, vomiting and abdominal pain.
The illness usually lasts four to seven days and most people recover without treatment, according to the CDC. "However, in some persons, the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized".
- AT&T to close Time Warner purchase by June 20: attorney
- Cecchinato vows to prove French semi-final was no fluke
- Armed man takes hostages in Paris
- Virginia Primary Voter Guide
- USA unveils new ‘embassy’ in Taiwan amid strained China ties
- Salah remains doubtful for WCup opener
- Tesla lays off thousands of workers in corporate restructuring
- JUST IN: Real Madrid appoint new coach, Julen Lopetegui
- Read The Joint Statement From President Trump And Kim Jong Un
- Kate Middleton Dresses Princess Charlotte to Match Her Style