As well as the relative strength of both teams involved, less importance will be given to friendly games when determining the rankings, while more will be given to the major tournaments.
Neymar and co. are backed to lift the trophy for a record-extending sixth time by 43 percent of users on the day before the tournament kicks off in Moscow on June 14.
Russian soprano Aida Garifullina will also entertain the crowd in Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium on Thursday.
Read on for a look at what to know ahead of the opening ceremony.
Russian organizers say they expect World Cup spending to exceed $11 billion, though that tally does not include undisclosed spending on some of the new city infrastructure and stadiums that will be used during the event. Mexico played host to the 1970 and 1986 World Cup. In the 1990s, Williams was a part of the pop group "Take That".
Sepp Blatter, the disgraced former president of Federation Internationale de Football Association whose dramatic fall from power corresponded with revelations of widespread corruption among the organisation's top officials, will attend the World Cup in Russia as a personal guest of President Vladimir Putin.
He was suspended in December 2015 for eight years, later reduced to six, after an investigation carried out by FIFA's ethics committee.
Double Champions League victor Mourinho earlier predicted that England would emerge from their World Cup group as winners - setting up a predicted match with Poland in the last 16.
"I've done a lot in my career, and opening the FIFA World Cup to 80,000 football fans in the stadium and many millions all over the world is a boyhood dream".
- Raccoon scaling side of a tall skyscraper grips US social media
- Antoine Griezmann gets autographs from France 1998 World Cup heroes
- Ivanka Trump´s 'Chinese proverb' tweet mystifies China
- Warm and dry tonight, storm chances rumble in for Monday
- OMG - Priyanka Chopra Met Nick Jonas' Family So You Know It's Real!
- United Kingdom justice minister resigns ahead of key Brexit debate
- "Greatest achievement" of summit was trust-building between Kim, Trump: Seoul
- U.K.'s May Scrambles for Brexit Compromise as Tory Tensions Rise
- Senate adopts measure blocking Trump ZTE deal
- England's Dele Alli promises best behaviour at FIFA World Cup