Trudeau spoke in mostly favorable terms about Trump but said that Canadians "will not be pushed around" and added that the Trump administration's national security justification for imposing tariffs on steel and aluminum imported from Canada is "kind of insulting".
He made the comments Tuesday at an event of The Wall Street Journal CFO Network in Washington.
"I have a good relationship with Justin Trudeau, I really did", Trump said.
He delivered them the day after Trump himself criticized Trudeau and shortly after Trump's top economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, insulted Trudeau himself.
Following Trump's departure from the G7 summit, Trudeau said in a press conference that he told the US president that his steel and aluminum tariffs were "kind of insulting", that Canada "will not be pushed around" and that it would not hesitate to impose retaliatory measures. Mr. Navarro made it clear the comments referred to Mr. Trudeau.
"We have to stand up for our principles, our values in Europe, potentially with Canada or Japan", Germany Chancellor Angela Merkel said in an interview Sunday on ARD public TV.
"Based on Justin's false statements at his news conference, and the fact that Canada is charging massive Tariffs to our U.S. farmers, workers and companies, I have instructed our U.S. Reps not to endorse the Communique as we look at Tariffs on automobiles flooding the U.S. Market!" the president tweeted.
"I'm not sure what activity he's asking me to undertake with either", May said amid laughter.
"Very childish and unprofessional behaviour", Gorka said.
"I thought he should have kept his big mouth shut, because I don't think that helps us in foreign policy".
"He learned", Mr Trump said. A WSJ poll found that 58 percent of the executives gathered believed that United States trade policy is heading in the wrong direction. The Trudeau government has announced it will impose dollar-for-dollar, retaliatory tariffs on metals and a range of other US products by July 1.
Trump's attacks arrive as the United States and Canada renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement alongside Mexico.
- We’ll honour pledges made at ‘difficult’ G7, says Theresa May
- Woman dragged into lake and killed by alligator while walking dogs
- Microsoft Shows Game Play, Release Date for Metro Exodus
- Trump, Kim Commit to 'Immediate Repatriation' of Korean War Missing
- JUST IN: Real Madrid appoint new coach, Julen Lopetegui
- Real Madrid Appoint Surprise Choice As New Manager
- Kate Middleton Dresses Princess Charlotte to Match Her Style
- Bacteria Grows On Kitchen Towels, But Health Risks May Be Overblown
- IL police officer saves child running along busy road
- Police among four arrested after Iraq ballot fire