The USGS said fountaining from fissure 8 reached as high as about 200 feet Saturday, and there was some minor lava activity from fissures 16 and 18. "A lot of, 'What now?'" said Big Island Mayor Harry Kim, who spoke at a news conference Monday.
The Civil Defense Agency warns Hawaii residents with breathing problems to limit exposure to the volcano's noxious emissions.
On Tuesday, the USGS said that fissure 8 is continuing to produce a large channelized flow into the ocean, creating a large plume of hazardous emissions and volcanic glass shards.
Bob Fenton, FEMA administrator for Region IX, told reporters Monday he conducted an overflight of lava-ravaged areas and was "amazed at the amount of devastation".
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory geologist Janet Babb says there hasn't been a lot of change in recent days as lava from an erupting volcano keeps spewing from a crack in the ground. Over the weekend, gas emissions from the outbreak almost doubled, indicating a potential increase in its eruption rate.
Journalists and National Guard soldiers watch as lava erupts in Leilani Estates during ongoing eruptions of the Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii, U.S., June 9, 2018.
In the meantime, fewer workers are needed to staff a 24-hour operations center and officials are reducing checkpoints, Magno said.
Many people whose homes have been destroyed don't have insurance, and FEMA officials are working with local authorities to get disaster assistance to those who qualify.
The federal agency also reported a new 5.3 magnitude quake at 02:52 pm BST that had Kilauea unleash yet another plume of ash and smoke from its summit. But the unit has been broken since Thursday. Venturing too close to an ocean entry on land or the ocean exposes you to flying debris from sudden explosive interaction between lava and water.
- AT&T to close Time Warner purchase by June 20: attorney
- Toronto Raptors Hire Assistant Nick Nurse To Replace Dwane Casey
- UK's Theresa May says Russian Federation must change before it returns to G8
- Donald Trump Blasts Robert De Niro For Tonys Remarks: "Very Low IQ"
- Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition announced
- Tesla lays off thousands of workers in corporate restructuring
- Microsoft Shows Game Play, Release Date for Metro Exodus
- Armed man takes hostages in Paris
- Taliban Kills Afghan Officials As Government's Ceasefire Kicks In
- Pre-cut melon cause of multistate salmonella outbreak — CDC