"The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a risky situation in which heat illnesses are likely", the National Weather Service said.
Thermometers are expected to soar 10 to 20 degrees above normal through Monday, with record highs potentially recorded from the Great Lakes region to New England, the National Weather Service said.
The heat and humidity will intensify with afternoon highs in the mid to upper 90s and a heat index near or above 105°.
FOX 5's Mike Thomas says to expect high humidity and lots of heat as another Heat Advisory begins Tuesday at noon and lasts until 8 p.m. Mike says to limit strenuous outdoor activities, find shade and stay hydrated.
Virginia Beach will be the warmest, with temperatures reaching the high 80s. Today, however, that will likely not be the case as we mark the third day in a row over 90 degrees, making it officially a heat wave. Los Angeles is expected to reach 101 degrees on Friday while Las Vegas is forecast to reach 112 degrees.
"It will not only be very hot, but it may also be perceived as relentless for many people in the Northeast as the heat lingers into the first part of July", said Paul Pastelok, a long-range meteorologist with AccuWeather.
Tuesday night: Clear skies with temperatures dipping down into the high 70s.
A HEAT ADVISORY is in effect for this afternoon for most of CT, with the exception of the shoreline in New London County.
"We don't have any confirmation yet that a tornado touched down", Brown said, adding that the weather service may send an investigator to the area if there are reports of damage.
Three Portland television stations interrupted their regular Saturday evening programming to warn Mainers of the possibility of a tornado.
The prolonged heat forecast prompted a special warning Sunday from the Maine Department of Environmental Protection's Air Quality Bureau.
"Heat-related illnesses possible through this time period, especially for at-risk populations such as the elderly, very young, and those with mental illnesses", the NY weather service office warned.
Some towns, including Scarborough, were taking steps to help citizens who might not have air conditioning.
The City of Boston on Sunday declared a heat emergency and community centers across the city are expected to be open as cooling centers.
- Reports Show Lopez Obrador With Landlside Win in Mexico Election
- 2018 budget in danger as Saudi Arabia pump 2m more barrels
- Juventus president Agnelli driving sensational Ronaldo deal; direct contact made
- Guterres urged to stop fighting in southern Syria
- 'Heavy-hearted' Murray withdraws from Wimbledon
- Guy Pearce recalls 'handsy' Kevin Spacey on L.A. Confidential set
- Mexico's Lopez Obrador says wants referendum after three years
- Royal fans dismiss claims Meghan Markle's second faux pas
- The teams standing between England and the World Cup final
- 'Game, set, match, Mrs Williams': Serena wins at Wimbledon