Worrying the announcement might cause disarray in the squad the Spanish FA decided to make sure there was disarray by sacking him and having Hierro take over, whose only previous managerial experience was at Oviedo in the second division.
The 50-year-old has now also opted againt returning to his post as director at the RSFF.
Fernando Hierro, who led Spain at the 2018 World Cup, has stepped down as coach and will not return to his former role as sporting director of the team.
"After walking many kilometres side by side, the Spanish Football Federation and Fernando Hierro have brought their relationship to an end following the conclusion of Spain's campaign at the World Cup in Russia", the RFEF said.
Luis Enrique is the favourite to succeed Julen Lopetegui as the Spain head coach and will be put forward for the position in a meeting with the Spanish Football Federation's board of directors on Monday morning.
"The Federation want to highlight the professional and human values of an extraordinary athlete to whom we wish the best of fortunes".
Fernando Hierro has quit his role as Spain's national team head coach following La Furia Roja's Second Round exit at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russian Federation.
Hierro's time as Spanish boss was short and not-so-sweet having spent just four games in charge, losing to Russian Federation on penalties in the knockout round of 16.
Lopetegui was sacked two days before their opening World Cup match with Portugal after he was named Real Madrid boss.
- Dana White Says Brock Lesnar vs. Daniel Cormier Is Definitely Happening
- F1: Mercedes back team after Lewis Hamilton strategy error
- After marathon meeting, United Kingdom leaders endorse Brexit trade plan
- Daniel Cormier Might Be The Greatest MMA Fighter Ever
- Taiwan name-change by Air India unrelated to one China policy
- Maisie Williams bids a bloody farewell to 'Game Of Thrones'
- England bask in SWC glow as Russian Federation suffers
- Emotional Hamilton on pole for home British GP
- David Davis quits as Brexit Secretary leaving Theresa May facing a crisis
- Kate Middleton’s Christening Photos Revealed Ahead Of Prince Louis’ Big Day