In his speech, the president said he believes in one Supreme God and he "just happened to be a human being believing there's a universal mind somewhere who controls the universe".
The President, who has earlier sparked outrage for calling God "stupid", made a new controversy by saying he will resign if anybody can prove that God exists in a speech last Friday.
Admitting that science was not one of his strongest points, Duterte said he chose to touch on the issue of God's existence at the event, questioning the logic of why agony, pain and injustice was rampant in the world.
President Rodrigo Duterte, amid tensions between the church and state, continued to challenge Christians about their God.
Duterte also questioned some of the basic tenets of the Catholic faith, including the concept of original sin, which he said taints even innocent infants.
"Where is the logic of God there?". "This son of a bitch is then really stupid", Duterte said. "You were not involved but now you're stained with an original sin ..." What kind of a religion is that? Mercado, who is an acquaintance of the president, said that Duterte "does not let go". I can't accept it.
Duterte's spokesperson defended the president's comments by stating that they are only his personal views and explaining that Duterte may feel this way because of the abuse he endured at the hands of a priest when he was a boy, the BBC reported.
Roque also pointed out that Duterte's remarks were deeply rooted in his unpleasant experience, being allegedly molested by a priest when he was studying at the Jesuit-run Ateneo de Davao University (AdDU).
Duterte is set to hold dialogue with the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines on July 9, in hopes of addressing the tensions between his administration and other religious groups.
The President met the Davao Archbishop behind closed doors in Malacañang Monday afternoon amid efforts to improve the government's working relationship with the Church.
- Toro Rosso losing "crazy" time on the straights - Gasly
- Thai cave rescue: Remaining boys wait for operation to resume
- British Brexit Secretary David Davis resigns over EU exit plan
- Nirbhaya case: Supreme Court upholds death penalty for three rapists
- Emotional Hamilton on pole for home British GP
- European Leaders 'Scared to Death' Trump Will Pull US Troops
- Trudeau, Tory meet as gun violence, refugee costs heat up
- Rohit Sharma inspires India to series-clinching T20 victory over England
- Kate Middleton’s Christening Photos Revealed Ahead Of Prince Louis’ Big Day
- Graham: 'China's hands' all over North Korea rebuke of United States negotiators