The National Hurricane Center in Miami said Sunday that the storm has barely moved since Saturday. The storm crossed directly over the island, which is still rebuilding more than nine months after Hurricane Maria hit as a Category 5 storm and killed dozens of people.
Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit urged people to stay inside and observe a curfew.
According to the 5:00 a.m. advisory, the center of Tropical Storm Beryl was located near latitude 13.7 North, longitude 56.0 West. Beryl is moving toward the west-northwest near 20 miles per hour (31 km/h) and this motion with an increase in forward speed is expected during the next couple of days.
Chris, third tropical storm of the 2018 season, became a depression on Friday afternoon.
National Weather Service meteorologist Carlos Anselmi told the AP that 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5 centimeters) of rain was expected across Puerto Rico, with double that in isolated areas. He urged people without sturdy roofs to move in with relatives or to one of 24 government shelters. Some 60,000 people still have only tarps for roofs.
A flash-flood watch was in effect for Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands from late Sunday through Monday evening, NWS San Juan said on Twitter. Lourdes De Jesus, who traveled from West Springfield, Massachusetts, to help fix her mother's house in southeast Yabucoa, said the roof consists of tarp and recycled zinc and leaks even during a light storm.
"I don't know what we're going to do", she said.
Chris was stationary about 160 miles south of Cape Hatteras, N.C. with maximum sustained winds of 45 mph, according to the NHC 11 a.m. EDT advisory.
As for Beryl it has lose its circulation and tropical characteristics making it just a remnant low with winds of 45 miles per hour and gust up to 60 miles per hour.
They say storm could attain hurricane status by late Tuesday or early Wednesday.
- Sacramento's Bagley to get MRI on hip flexor, groin
- Tropical storm watch discontinued
- In Canada, seven times increased the number of dead from the heat
- Vettel wrecks Hamilton’s home party with stunning Ferrari win
- Bethesda's Todd Howard Says Fallout 76 Doesn't 'Mark' The Company's Future
- British Brexit Secretary David Davis resigns over EU exit plan
- Rohit Sharma inspires India to series-clinching T20 victory over England
- Netflix is testing some new plans. Here's what they do
- Mastermind behind 1995 Japan sarin-gas attack executed
- ZTE Gets Temporary Reprieve From U.S. Ban Over Iran Sanctions Violations