"Swells generated by Chris are expected to increase and affect portions of the coasts of North Carolina and the mid-Atlantic states into early next week", the advisory said, adding that some of the resulting conditions could be life-threatening. Hurricane force winds begin at 74 miles per hour, and the hurricane center expects Chris to become a hurricane late today or tonight.
Tropical Storm Beryl is expected to bring heavy rainfall and gusty winds to Puerto Rico and other Caribbean islands - places still recovering from last year's deadly hurricanes - early in the coming week, National Hurricane Center forecasters said Sunday. Then it is expected to turn to the northeast and speed away from the USA on Wednesday and Thursday. Maximum sustained winds have reached 45 miles per hour (75 kph).
The hurricane center said most forecast models are on board with this scenario, but some take Chris away from the USA faster than others.
The Carolinas could see their first hurricane of the season on Monday, as Tropical Storm Chris strengthens. It could pass near or over Nova Scotia and Newfoundland later this week, but is expected to be weaker then.
There was high threat of unsafe rip currents north of Cape Lookout, according to the National Weather Service's Newport/Morehead City office.
A number of beaches along the Outer Banks on Sunday are not open for swimmers.
At noon today, Chris was 594 miles west of Bermuda, with winds of about 46mph and higher gusts.
A tropical storm warning is up on Guadeloupe and Dominica, while a tropical storm watch has been issued for the French Caribbean territories of Martinique, St. Martin and St. Barts as well as St. Maarten, Barbados, St. Lucia, Saba and St. Eustatius.
While the storm was not expected to make landfall as of Sunday afternoon, it will bring "life threatening" rough surf and risky rip currents along the East Coast, the weather service said.
However, Beryl may not be over and done with.
- David Davis quits as Brexit Secretary leaving Theresa May facing a crisis
- GOP senator warns Trump: Putin, Kim 'very cold-blooded, calculating'
- Pakistan vs Australia T20I Tri-series final Match 6
- Daniel Cormier Might Be The Greatest MMA Fighter Ever
- Taiwan name-change by Air India unrelated to one China policy
- Emotional Hamilton on pole for home British GP
- European Leaders 'Scared to Death' Trump Will Pull US Troops
- Spain head coach Fernando Hierro steps down following World Cup exit
- I Gave Nabil Fekir Liverpool Opportunity - Lyon Supremo On Star's Future
- 30 drunken seagulls baffle vets treating them at RSPCA centre