Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., addresses reporters at the Capitol in Washington, May 15, 2018.
McConnell did not appear to react or acknowledge the protesters, the newspaper reported. "We know where you live", one male voice could be heard saying.
Video posted online by the Courier-Journal shows protesters running up behind the Republican leader and yelling numerous things at him, most of which were related to President Trump's zero-tolerance immigration policy and the separation of families at the southern United States border.
He said the comment about "knowing where you live" was "a not-so-subtle threat right out of the Maxine Waters playbook" and 'very distasteful'.
Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) has never called for violence, but has urged the public to peacefully and publicly confront members of the Trump administration.
Her comments were criticized by Republicans as well as Democratic leaders.
This isn't the first time that protesters have confronted McConnell over his support for the Trump administration's immigration policy - which since May has included criminally prosecuting all migrants crossing the US border without documentation, thus separating families. His wife, Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao, shot right back at protesters who yelled at her and her husband as they hopped in a auto.
This is not the first time a Republican or member of the Trump administration has been confronted outside of work in relation to the separation of children from their parents at the U.S. -Mexico border. In the meantime, most separated families have not been reunited.
"He's separating families", a protester told Chao.
"You leave my husband alone!", Chao responded.
One of the protesters also played an audio recording, published by ProPublica, in which children taken from their parents can be heard crying. You leave my husband alone!'
A 32-second clip of the encounter was shared online by a student called Roberto on Twitter on Tuesday has since attracted millions of views.
- Harry Kane Spurred On By England's World Cup Class Of '66
- The New Orange Is The New Black Trailer Just Dropped
- Wimbledon 2018: Djokovic races past Sandgren in opener
- Phone maker Xiaomi falls then rises in Hong Kong debut
- Wimbledon 2018: Simona Halep loses to Hsieh Su-wei in third round
- Trump Administration Bullied Countries To Make Them Reject The Science On Breastfeeding
- North Korea reminds Trump its nuclear weapons won't come cheap
- Iranian teen arrested for dancing on Instagram
- Daredevil Travis Pastrana Lands Iconic Evel Knievel Motorcycle Jumps
- Del Monte 'small veggie trays' result in 212 confirmed parasite cases