A native of Fray Bentos, Torreira made his senior debut for Serie B side Pescara in 2015, signing for Sampdoria the following summer.
The signing is also another step toward shoring up a defensive unit that struggled badly last season under Arsene Wenger, with Arsenal having already signed veteran right-back Stephan Lichtsteiner on a free transfer from Juventus, Borussia Dortmund centre-back Sokratis Papastathopoulos and Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno.
However, following their elimination, Torreira flew straight to London over the weekend to complete his switch to Arsenal and underwent his medical at London Colney on Monday afternoon.
The wait is finally over for Arsenal fans as the gunners have now officially announced the signing of Lucas Torreira from Sampdoria, the club announced the news on their official website. Although the exact fee hasn't been disclosed, the Daily Mail claim Arsenal have paid around £25m for the 22-year-old's signature.
'He is a young player already with good experience, but who wants to keep on growing, ' said Emery.
"We welcome Lucas to Arsenal and look forward to him joining us soon for pre-season".
Torreira will wear the No 11 shirt that Mesut Özil occupied until this summer, with the German instead set to be wearing the No 10 shirt vacated by Jack Wilshere, now at West Ham.
- New role for Daventry MP after resignations from Brexit department
- Five family members from New Jersey killed in Delaware Route 1 crash
- Thailand boat accident: Death toll climbs to 33, with 23 others missing
- Jamie Redknapp delivers verdict on Jack Wilshere's move to West Ham
- All 12 boys and their football trainer 'pulled from flooded Thailand cave'
- George Clooney taken to hospital after motorcycle crash in Sardinia
- Brexit row: Jeremy Hunt replaces Boris Johnson as United Kingdom foreign minister
- George Clooney Injured in Italy Car Crash
- George Clooney hospitalized after accident while riding a motorcycle
- Boris Johnson leaves Carlton Gardens after his resignation