It urged US citizens "do not travel to the airport unless your confirmed flight is departing".
People loot shops in Delmas, a commune near Port-au-Prince, during protests against the rising price of fuel, on July 8, 2018.
Airlines were canceling flights into and out of Toussaint-Louverture International Airport over the weekend, and both embassies were advising travelers and citizens residing in Haiti to confirm directly with their travel agent or airlines before heading to the airport. It noted that many airline flights had been cancelled and said, "The airport has limited food and water available".
Multiple youth groups from churches in the United States have remained stranded in Haiti amid protests in the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince following a fuel price hike. Only a few miles into the approximately 30-mile journey, the group, which includes middle school- and high school-age children, encountered individuals demanding payment for access to the roadway, according to McFarlin.
McFarlin reported that the church group talked their way past the first roadblock, but soon came to a second roadblock with burning tires on the road.
120 USA citizens are trapped along with 100 natives at the Oasis Hotel which protesters tried to set fire to earlier on Saturday. "They weren't government or police", McFarlin said. "US citizens in Haiti, let family and friends know that you are safe if you are able". "Just people taking advantage of the situation".
Chapin United Methodist Church in SC posted online that its mission team is safe but stranded.
"Do not travel to the airport unless you confirmed your flight is departing", the department said in a statement.
"Due to continuing demonstrations, roadblocks, and violence across Port-au-Prince, as well as short staffing at the airports, embassy personnel have been instructed to re-book any flights originally scheduled for Sunday", the US embassy said in a statement.
Additionally, Americans in the country are urged to avoid protests and large gatherings of people, do not travel through roadblocks, and let friends and family know their safe.
- Crowd of Critics Confronts Mitch McConnell in Kentucky Restaurant Parking Lot
- Syria says Israeli missiles strike airbase for third time
- Croatia search for missing sparks ahead of England clash
- Trump To Announce SCOTUS Nominee Monday Night
- May appoints Jeremy Hunt as new foreign minister
- Barcelona’s Paulinho returns to China's Guangzhou
- David Davis quits as Brexit Secretary
- Ministry calls on India to resist Chinese pressure
- Harvey Weinstein Pleads Not Guilty To Sex Charge
- India thump England to clinch T20 series after Rohit Sharma century