The Taiwanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday instructed the Taipei Economic and Cultural Center in India to lobby New Delhi to remove "Chinese Taipei" from the destination airport name of Taoyuan International Airport, Taipei from Air India's flight booking website.
"We are reviewing the Civil Aviation Administration of China's request and will remain in close consultation with the U.S. Government throughout this process", Delta said in a statement. That flight is therefore listed on the Air India website, which is why the concern is applicable.
Taiwan on Thursday protested against the renaming of "Taiwan" to "Chinese Taipei" on Air India's website and described the move as a gesture of succumbing to the unreasonable and absurd pressure from China. Code sharing allows an airline to book its passengers on its partner carriers and provide seamless travel to destinations where it has no presence.
Washington has no formal ties with Taiwan but is bound by law to help it defend itself and is the island's main source of arms.
Until some time ago, Air India on its website called the island as Taiwan, which China considers a breakaway province and has vowed to unite it with mainland someday. The letter also spoke of taking action against the airlines if they did not take action according to the letter. However, the Modi government used to be proud of declaring that they had told off China on India's "one-China" policy, by saying they would support it only when China supported a "one-India" policy.
As of press time, India's Ministry of External Affairs had not commented on the matter. "Some Indian media outlets and scholars believe India has no reason to list Taiwan as part of China, unless China recognizes India's territorial claims". China's economic power has caused global airlines including Air France, Lufthansa, British Airways, Air Canada, Finnair, and Malaysia Airlines to identify Taiwan as "Chinese Taipei". Neither Japan Airlines nor ANA has heard a protest from Taiwan, but Japan's broadcaster, NHK, reported that Taiwan's Foreign Ministery Affairs had filed a complaint as a diplomatic mission in Taipei.
- Harvey Weinstein Pleads Not Guilty To Sex Charge
- England makes final four for 1st time since '90
- IHOB just changed its name back to IHOP. Here's why
- Boris Johnson resigns in major Brexit blow to UK PM Theresa May
- India thump England to clinch T20 series after Rohit Sharma century
- EPA Head Scott Pruitt Resigns
- Jaded Croatia look to master Modric to carry them through against England
- Trump picks conservative Brett Kavanaugh for Supreme Court
- May appoints Jeremy Hunt as new foreign minister
- Del Monte 'small veggie trays' result in 212 confirmed parasite cases