Third rescue mission to save trapped soccer kids underway

Tuesday, 10 Jul, 2018

Four boys and their 25-year-old football coach "will be extracted on Tuesday".

As the eight boys already rescued from Thailand's Tham Luang Cave convalesce in a Chiang Rai hospital, an worldwide rescue team has entered the flooded cave system for the third consecutive day to free the four children and their 25-year-old soccer coach still trapped inside.

Expert divers have so far rescued eight boys from a flooded cave in Thailand, leaving another four youngsters and their football coach to be brought to safety.

As well as the four remaining boys and one adult, three Thai navy Seals and a doctor who have been...

The good news today, he said, was that the rescue team spent nine hours - two hours faster than they did a day earlier - from the time they went deeper into the cave to extract the four survivors until they emerged safely from the cave.

Less than an hour after the helicopter took off, Thai public television aired live video of a medivac helicopter landing close to a hospital in the city of Chiang Rai, around 60 kilometers (37 miles) from the cave.

Chiang Rai Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn said Tuesday's rescue operation began just after 10 a.m. and involves 19 divers.

The exact health of the eight boys has not been released, but on Monday officials said the first four boys requested a meal of pad kra pao, a chicken dish with sweet basil.

Jesada said they were uncertain what type of infections the boys could face "because we have never experienced this kind of issue from a deep cave".

The four boys who were recovered on Sunday are now eating normal food, Jedsada said.

"Give us three more days and the Boars will come out to see the world, every one of them", Maj-Gen.

Jesada Chokedamrongsuk, a physician from the Thai ministry of public health, told a separate press conference at the Chiang Rai hospital that the eight patients were cheerful.

Twelve members of the Wild Boar youth football team were underground from 23 June after going for a picnic with their coach after practice.

Reuters reports that soccer's governing body, FIFA, has invited the boys to the World Cup final in Moscow on Sunday if they make it out in time.

People across Thailand cheered the rescue operation, including at the Mae Sai Prasitsart school where six of the trapped boys are students.

Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda also said the boys were in good health.

The urgent and unsafe effort has involved the boys diving through the cave's tight and twisting passages, guided by experienced divers.

Heavy rain began falling Tuesday as rescuers worked to replenish oxygen tanks for the third mission side the cave.

The remaining five members of the Thai soccer team will be rescued from the cave today, officials have confirmed.

On July 6th, former Thai Navy diver, Petty Officer Saman Gunan died while helping deliver oxygen to the team.