Phillips/Phoenix Joker film meanwhile would fall under a new "origins" banner which would be completely separate from the established DC cinematic universe.
The idea of changing the Joker from a young husband and future father into a solitary, social pariah living with his invalid mother makes the villain an even more tragic figure. The project is also said to be a gritty and grounded crime film set in 1980s Gotham City.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the standalone film was picked up by Warner Bros. and will begin filming in NY this September with Phoenix playing Batman's arch-nemesis.
Stay tuned to Heroic Hollywood for the latest news on all DC projects as it develops!
Batman's arch-nemesis is coming back in a big way.. His bombastic schemes, twisted behavior and eerie laugh are the things nightmares are made from. Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger - who won an Oscar for his take in "The Dark Knight" - are among the many actors to bring the character to life.
Phoenix is not the only A-lister playing the Clown Prince of Crime either; Jared Leto is also preparing to revisit his interpretation, last seen - albeit fleetingly - in 2016's Suicide Squad. The actor was dealt a poor script in Suicide Squad and wasn't given a chance to properly shine.
- In Turkey fired more than 18 thousand public servants
- Man City medical scheduled for Mahrez
- India's top court reviews British-era ban on homosexuality
- Lovren ready for Kane test at World Cup
- British regulator to fine Facebook over data protection breaches
- Aaron Armstrong, boyfriend of tragic Sophie Gradon, found dead
- World's Ugliest Dog dies weeks after winning dubious honor
- Son of slain anti-Taliban politician among 20 dead in Pakistan blast
- Facebook faces over $650G fine in Britain over data misuse scandal
- Charlotte Tells Photographer He's 'Not Coming' To Louis' Christening