No. 7 Karolina Pliskova, the last of the top-10 women, lost 6-3, 7-6 (1) to Kiki Bertens. When she served for it a second time, she needed to navigate a 16-point game that included five deuces and all of those match points, until forcing a forehand error on the last. "For me, there's so much further I want to go to get back where I was, and hopefully go beyond that".
The American then cruised through the deciding set with a single break of serve enough to ensure her place in the semi-finals. A good win for the big-serving South African and he's in pretty good form.
(13) J Goerges d.
Through her four Wimbledon matches last week, Williams carefully had calibrated the speed of her serves, taking care not to aggravate the injured pectoral muscle that had forced her withdrawal midway through the French Open last month.
After clinching the win, Goerges did not celebrate at first, preferring instead to show sympathy with her beaten friend, embracing her with a long hug at the net.
"I feel like a lot of aspects of my game can give him a lot of trouble", said Anderson, the first South African man in the Wimbledon quarter-finals since Wayne Ferreira in 1994.
Rare is the player who can produce Williams' sort of pace on serves - Giorgi's average speeds were actually faster on first and second serves, and she delivered the match's first three aces - and mirror her power in groundstroke exchanges at the baseline.
Williams has won her first five matches against unseeded opponents.
Japan's Kei Nishikori beat Ernests Gulbis in four sets to set up a match-up with Novak Djokovic, who has quietly been playing well at the tournament.
"I don't know what I did", Williams said in a post-game press conference.
Looking to become the first Italian woman to make the Wimbledon semifinals, Giorgi did not let up, even when the match started to look like it was slipping away. I just kept fighting.
After welcoming Olympia in September and tying the knot to the Reddit co-founder and venture capitalist in November, went back into full training mode-and just recently, shared that she missed a major milestone. Pliskova had been the only female player in the top 10 to reach the fourth round, the fewest in a Grand Slam event in the Open era following a slew of upsets in the first week.
- YouTube to invest $25 million to boost 'trusted' news sources
- David Lee in Russia: Gareth Southgate could be England's salvation
- GOP ex-Sen. Jon Kyl will be the 'sherpa' for SCOTUS nominee
- Fearless France ready to show Belgium's Henry he picked wrong side
- Trump's Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh woos Senate
- Duke and Duchess of Sussex arrive in Ireland on first global trip
- To-play co-op shooter ‘Warframe’ is coming to Nintendo Switch
- William Dunlop Killed In Skerries 100 Road Crash
- Rodolfo Rodriguez: Full Story of 92-Year-Old Assaulted In Texas
- Thailand Cave Rescue Latest: More Schoolboys Are Saved