Goalkeeper Danijel Subasic had a hamstring injury during extra time against Russian Federation but remained in the match and played his role when the game went to penalties.
Deschamps may have bitter memories from that Euro final in front of a home crowd, but he is now on the verge of joining an elite club of coaches who have also won the World Cup as players.
"I don't have the words". But we will be ready because we have an extremely good state of mind and it is the semi-finals in the World Cup.
"Even in my wildest dreams I didn't imagine this", he explained in his post-match press conference.
"But everyone is happy with what we have", he said, adding that he would still watch remaining games, supporting Belgium.
"This is just one more step, albeit a very important one".
Didier Deschamps has one of the strongest squads in the tournament, and it's hard to find a weakness in his team.
"I'm not sure what my bosses will say if I want to stay!" He's been showing us season in, season out, that he is among the best strikers in the Premier League. "Everyone is with us, we're all in this together". He's broken out over the last 12 months, especially at the World Cup.
"Of course, it's not the same if you play two 90min matches and two 120min matches, but I still believe we have had ample time to recover and we are professional enough to know who needs what with what kind of recovery".
"We know there are going to be hard moments and we'll have to be ready to suffer".
"What we did 20 years ago will always remain, but you have to live in the present, you can't look in the rear-view mirror, you have to move forward", explained Deschamps.
"Personally, I spoke to the manager and some of my teammates, I didn't feel like I was playing as well as I should have been", Alli told reporters. "We were a group of guys having a lot of fun, enjoying our football, learning and improving all the time - and that's what these lads have done". The final touch before the ball went in appeared to have come off Marouane Fellaini, but Umtiti deserves credit for rising above the Manchester United man and coming up with the header.
- France vs Belgium: A 'Final Quality' Match
- Trump administration freezes Obamacare payments, citing court decision
- Thailand Cave Rescue Latest: More Schoolboys Are Saved
- Duke and Duchess of Sussex arrive in Ireland on first global trip
- Man City Sign African Star For £60m
- GOP ex-Sen. Jon Kyl will be the 'sherpa' for SCOTUS nominee
- Wimbledon 2018: Serena Williams breezes past Evgeniya Rodina and into quarter-finals
- David Lee in Russia: Gareth Southgate could be England's salvation
- Duke and Duchess of Sussex arrive in Ireland for tour
- Trump pardons ranchers whose arrests led to armed occupation of wildlife refuge