"I'm sad to share that Zsa Zsa passed away in her sleep last night", reads a message from her owner, Megan Brainard, a pet groomer in Minnesota. She said the 9-year-old English bulldog's death has been "devastating".
The victor of this year's World's Ugliest Dog Contest had always been a fighter; Zsa Zsa spent her first five years of life in a puppy mill in Missouri before she was saved by the nonprofit Underdog Rescue. It's kind of like when she won (the World's Ugliest Dog contest).
Zsa Zsa - with her floppy tongue, crooked teeth and pink manicure - won the annual contest on June 23 at the Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds in Petaluma, California. "It's probably going to be the same with her passing".
"I picked Zsa Zsa up and took her outside and laid her down in the grass", says Brainard.
Brainard told the Today show she drove 30 hours from her home in Anoka, Minn., to give Zsa Zsa the opportunity to participate in the contest, which is put on every year to raise awareness for dog adoption. "It was sweet. She was waving at her". Put up for auction after her breeding years were done, she was bought by an animal rescue group before making her way to Brainard's home.
Zsa Zsa's family held a farewell ceremony for her in their back yard.
The recently-crowned World's Ugliest Dog has died. "She never really showed much excitement but yes, she was definitely living it up after she won".
- Sei Young Kim Destroys LPGA Tour Scoring Record with NineShot Victory
- Man City medical scheduled for Mahrez
- France grinds way to World Cup final, edges Belgium
- Amal Clooney's Husband Rushed to ER After Scooter Crash
- Man City Sign African Star For £60m
- Pakistan beats Australia in T20 tri-series final by 6 wkts
- There was a maturity to Paul Pogba's game
- In Turkey fired more than 18 thousand public servants
- Woolworths recalls savoury rice after listeria outbreak in Europe
- India's top court reviews British-era ban on homosexuality