In fact, many critics argue that it hasn't been a vintage year for television, with very few new shows making waves - instead, perennial favorites were recognized for having delivered yet another year of quality.
While HBO received 108 nominations this year, only three fewer than last year, Netflix had a total of 112 nominations - up from 91 last year. NBC had 78 nods.
Speaking of SNL nods: Chance The Rapper was nominated in the Outstanding Original Music And Lyrics category for his performance on the late night show in November of 2017.
Game of Thrones' roared back onto the Emmy battlefield, topping Thursday's nominations with 22 bids but facing a formidable opponent in 'The Handmaid's Tale, ' last year's top drama series. Atlanta leads in comedy series nominations with 16, and RuPaul's Drag Race and The Voice each had 10 nominations to lead in the reality-competition category.
Additionally, John Legend was nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor In A Limited Series Of Movie for his portrayal of Jesus Christ in Jesus Christ Superstar.
But the early money for the win in September is on Criss, a much lesser-known face who plays Versace's killer Andrew Cunanan in the FX drama.
The revival of 'Roseanne, ' canceled because of star Roseanne Barr's racist tweet, drew only one major nomination, a supporting actress nod for Laurie Metcalf. "We are pleased to have these two talented performers join us to announce this year's Emmy nominees and to celebrate television excellence".
The 2018 Golden Globe Awards will kick off on Sunday, Sept. 17, at the Microsoft Theater in downtown Los Angeles.
- Inside Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Lunch Date in Dublin
- Government reopens probe of Emmett Till slaying
- Trade tariffs will harm the world
- Man with world's longest fingernails finally cuts them off
- Thai Soccer Team: What Happens Now That They've Been Rescued From Cave?
- Jordan Henderson keeps getting texts from Jurgen Klopp during World Cup
- Trump Protest Sends Green Day's 'American Idiot' Up UK Charts
- Donald Trump says USA commitment to North Atlantic Treaty Organisation remains strong
- Sen. Baldwin won't back Trump's pick for Supreme Court
- Indian women’s team coach Tushar Arothe resigns from his role