Congress president Rahul Gandhi lost a large number of followers on Twitter, say reports.
Meanwhile Britney Spears (14th in terms of followers) did lose more than 2 million, and Twitter's own corporate Twitter account (16th) lost more than 7 million.
The social-media company warned on Wednesday that its crackdown on fake accounts means users will have fewer followers.
If you've been losing sleep over declining followers on Twitter, you're not alone.
Twitter said the accounts are locked after the platform detects "sudden changes in account behavior", which includes tweeting out a large number of unsolicited replies, sharing links that are misleading or being blocked by a large number of users that have been mentioned by the account. "In these situations, we reach out to the owners of the accounts and unless they validate the account and reset their passwords, we keep them locked with no ability to log in", Twitter announced on Wednesday.
"Follower counts are a visible feature, and we want everyone to have confidence that the numbers are meaningful and accurate".
Katy Perry, the most popular user on all of Twitter, saw about 3 million followers disappear, bringing her total down to 107 million.
"As part of our ongoing and global effort to build trust and encourage healthy conversation on Twitter, every part of the service matters", read its blog post.
The drop in the follower count, however, has nothing to do with popularity of the Modi government.
While Nyakudi lost 593,379 followers, self-proclaimed trend setter - Xtiandela - had registered a loss of 567,044 followers by 2:30 on Friday.
Barack Obama went from 103 million followers to 101 million.
Fast forward to this week, when Twitter began purging fake accounts in an attempt to rid itself of some of its more unsavory qualities - trolling, spam, etc. - and make its metrics a little more realistic.
- LeBron James called former teammate Kyrie Irving soft
- ‘Do Not Eat This Cereal’: CDC Links Honey Smacks To Salmonella
- Donald Trump hails Kim Jong-un letter as nuclear summit deal falters
- Call for clarity on European Union oil workers' status following Brexit white paper
- Trade tariffs will harm the world
- Homeless man with no arms charged with stabbing tourist in Florida
- Jordan Henderson keeps getting texts from Jurgen Klopp during World Cup
- Federation Internationale de Football Association orders World Cup broadcasters to stop zooming in on 'hot women'
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey lost 200,000 followers in account purge
- Microsoft Ending Windows 10 'Delta Updates' Next Year