Since Twitter announced that it would be working to reduce questionable accounts, President Trump has lost about 100,000 of his 53.4 million followers, while former president Barack Obama is down nearly 400,000 of his 104 million followers as of Wednesday, according to a report from Washington Post.
His Twitter account was not spared by the purge on "fake" accounts that has seen popular personalities globally lose even up to a million followers.
Twitter also said the purge won't affect the metrics it releases to investors, like monthly active users or daily active users.
The company said follower counts may continue to change more regularly as part of ongoing work to proactively identify and challenge problematic accounts.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's following on Twitter has declined by around 2,70,000 in just a matter of two days following a crackdown by the social media company against fake accounts.
Across the board, Twitter's most followed celebrities felt a cut on Thursday.
By contrast, former President Barack Obama's count fell by 2.1 million followers, or 2.1 percent, to 101.5 million.
United States singer Katy Perry, the most-followed user on Twitter, and Lady Gaga lost about 2.5 million followers.
President Donald Trump's yuge Twitter following has taken a whack.
Twitter locks accounts when it detects "sudden changes in account behavior", like tweeting a large volume of unsolicited replies or mentions - in other words, signs that it's engaging in spam or bot-like activity.
In his tweet Thursday, Dorsey said, "Action on this starts today".
Tech executive Elon Musk saw the smallest dip, 0.3 percent, or about 71,000 followers.
"Most people will see a change of four followers or fewer; others with larger follower counts will experience a more significant drop".
"We understand this may be hard for some, but we believe accuracy and transparency make Twitter a more trusted service for public conversation", Vijaya Gadde, Twitter's legal, policy, and trust and safety lead, wrote in a post.
- Trump says he feels 'unwelcomed' in London, blasts mayor Sadiq Khan
- One Boy Takes On Key Role During Thailand Cave Rescue
- Netflix knocks HBO off its throne, as Emmy voters spread the wealth
- Trade tariffs will harm the world
- Government reopens probe of Emmett Till slaying
- Homeless man with no arms charged with stabbing tourist in Florida
- Celebrities React to Their Emmy Nominations
- Microsoft Ending Windows 10 'Delta Updates' Next Year
- Sen. Baldwin won't back Trump's pick for Supreme Court
- Stormy Daniels arrested in Ohio