"This first case of 2018 is a reminder that each year we have WNV cases in MS and that all Mississippians need to act now to reduce their risk of infection regardless of where they live in the state".
Additional mosquitoes in CT have tested positive for West Nile Virus.
Culex tarsalis is the mosquito that carries the west Nile virus.
It said samples of mosquitoes collected from the Pooler area tested positive, showing that the virus is circulating in the local population this year.
Drain - Empty any containers holding standing water - buckets, barrels, flower pots, tarps - because they are breeding grounds for virus-carrying mosquitoes.
- Consider staying indoors at dawn and dusk, when mosquitoes are most active. Since 2004, 232 residents have been infected with the virus, 8 of which have lost their lives.
Avoid areas where mosquitoes are prevalent. Mosquitoes can then transmit it to other birds or to humans or horses. Due to the high mortality rate of horses that contract the disease, owners are encouraged to make sure their horses are kept current with their West Nile virus vaccinations.
Check that door and window screens fit properly and don't have any holes.
Regardless of the West Nile virus risk level for the area, people are asked to remember there is no such thing as being risk-free from West Nile.
- Hurricane Chris strengthens on way to Newfoundland
- Mercedes ignites war of words with Ferrari over British GP incident
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation survives Trump, but the turmoil is leaving scars
- Massive fuel tank explosion rocks Cairo airport
- Peter Strzok to be 'RECALLED FOR CONTEMPT' After Fiery Testimony — CAPITOL CLASH
- Prince Louis' Christening -- See All the Royal Pics!
- Trump lands fresh blow on PM after attacking Brexit plan
- ‘Do Not Eat This Cereal’: CDC Links Honey Smacks To Salmonella
- Johnson & Johnson ordered to pay $4.69 bn damages in talc cancer case
- U.S. convict's execution blocked by drug company